Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a string quartet? A quartet is a musical ensemble of four stringed instruments: two violins, one viola (larger and deeper than a violin), and one cello (the bass of the group). All of our ensemble musicians are professionally trained and have years of experience.
2. What's the difference between a trio/duo and a quartet? The difference is in the number of players involved and also the instruments used. A quartet is four people, a trio is three, and a duo, two. The larger the ensemble, the greater the volume and richness of the sound; trios and duos can also sound lovely, especially in smaller settings or indoors.
3. Do the musicians need a sound system? Our instruments are acoustic. We do not require amplification except in rare circumstances.
4. How soon do I need to decide on my musical selections? Musical selections from our standard repertoire list must be finalized at least 2 weeks in advance of the event. Special requests require a minimum 4 week advance notice and are subject to an additional fee. Our complete repertoire lists are available on request.
5. We are following a traditional format at our church/synagogue. Will you know when to play during the ceremony? We have played for a wide variety of religious denominations and secular events. We have played for hundreds of occasions and have many years of experience amongst us.
6. Is there a charge for the set-up time? There is no charge for our set-up time. We will arrive at your event 20-30 minutes before we are scheduled to play. The first hour minimum begins with the prelude music.
7. If my wedding takes place on the beach, will you play? Playing on the sand is not ideal for stringed instruments. We need complete shelter from sun or rain, and heat in cold weather to protect our valuable instruments and will discuss the specific needs of your event with you.
8. What are some of the venues you have played at before? With twenty-plus years performing for special events in Santa Barbara and beyond, we have performed at many beautiful sites including private homes, local churches, the Presidio Chapel, many vineyards in Santa Ynez, and just about every major hotel and resort in the area including Four Seasons Biltmore, the Bacara Resort, Fess Parker's Double Tree Resort, Gainey Vineyard, Fess Parker Winery, Firestone Vineyard, the Ojai Valley Inn, and the Santa Ynez Inn. We have even played for receptions on the stage and from a balcony of the Granada Theater, and at many more incredible locations!
9. My fiancé and I would like to have played a song we heard the night we met. Can you play it for us? Yes! If it is not in our current repertoire, we will do a search to see if it is in print. If it is not in print and needs to be arranged for the ensemble, the cost of the arrangement will be added to your bill. Please be advised that not all songs (especially pop songs) are suitable for string arrangements and may sound quite different when played by a live string ensemble.
10. My cousin is a singer and I'd like her to sing at my wedding. Can you play something with her? Yes, we have accompanied many singers. We ask the singer to provide us with a score 4 weeks in advance of the event. Additionally, we will need a short rehearsal with the singer for half an hour prior to the event.
11. Do you charge a travel fee? Depending on the distance to the event, compensation for travel may be added to our fee. Let us know the location of your event and we will let you know in our initial proposal.
12. My wedding is at a private home with little room for parking. Can you come in one car? Yes, if parking is at a premium at your event, the musicians can carpool to reduce the parking spaces needed. If we know we need extra time for parking, we will arrive early to unload our instruments and move the car away from the site.
13. How much room do you need for your group to play? The entire quartet can fit in a space of about 8 feet by 10 feet.
14. Do you take breaks? For events longer than one hour, a five to ten minute break will be taken every hour.
"Your music is heavenly! So lovely, soothing and a beautiful complement to our lovely setting. So talented!"
~ Jamie & Peter, Mountain View, CA
"Thank you SO much for making the ceremony so beautiful."
~ Stef & Jason, Los Angeles
"Everybody at our wedding commented on how much the music added to our special day."
"The musicians' professionalism and easy-going attitude helped everything go smoothly."